Known as the "Father of the Sarasota School of Architecture," Ralph Twitchell, was involved in many of the defining landmark buildings throughout Sarasota, prior to the Sarasota Modern revolution. Twitchell was first professionally involved in Sarasota when he was brought in to oversee construction of the John and Mable Ringling home, Ca' d' Zan, in 1925 by Dwight James Baum. Twitchell gained his Florida architectural license on April 26, 1926.and continued to work with Baum on landmark projects including the Sarasota County Courthouse.
In sharp contrast to the Mediterranean style architecture of his earlier projects during the 1940s Twitchell and his early partner, Paul Rudolph, transformed local architecture with the prize-winning Revere Quality House. Designed by Twitchell and Rudolph to be a truly modern home. The first poured concrete house on Siesta Key, it has rooms that open to terraces and landscaped areas. The spreading, open design and use of glass walls is characteristic of the style which came to be known as the "Sarasota School of Architecture." The wide overhang that offers protection from rain and sun is another characteristic feature.
Highly respected by present day architects and past such as Carl Abbott, Mark Hampton, James Holiday, Victor Lundy, Paul Rudolph, Edward J. "Tim" Seibert, Frank Folsom Smith, Jack West and Ralph and William Zimmerman.